A study published by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) this month documents the continuing upward trend in hiring for hybrid and fully remote work in the U.S. As reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, the NBER report analyzed job vacancies posted online on job boards, employer websites and vacancy aggregators from 2014 to 2022. Among the key findings in this report:
- Job vacancies posted for new employees allowed to work remotely one or more days per week in the U.S. rose from 4% prior to the Covid pandemic to approximately three times that amount during the pandemic – and have continued to rise to over 10% of postings in the most recent period analyzed.
- Looking across occupations, the percent of job openings for hybrid or remote-work positions correlates positively with requirements for computer use, level of education and earnings offered. Finance, Insurance, Information and Communications have especially high rates of job openings for hybrid or remote-work positions.
San Francisco has the highest prevalence of hybrid and fully remote-work job openings
- Chicago, New York, San Francisco and other cities that function as business service hubs have high rates of hybrid and remote-work job postings. In particular, nearly 30% of San Francisco job openings in January 2023 offered hybrid or fully remote work, up from about 5% in 2019. That is the highest rate among the 50 largest U.S. cities.
- The report also reports on similar data from the U.K., Australia, Canada and New Zealand, where trends toward more hybrid and fully remote work are similar to the U.S.
For more information, download the complete NBER report or visit the San Francisco Chronicle article link above.
The Croner Company’s surveys and consulting services are relied upon by organizations at all stages of growth to establish and modify pay practices and align compensation with mission, values and market.
- For more information about The Croner Company’s compensation surveys, please contact Laurie Krashanoff, Manager, Account Relations, at +(415) 485-5521 or email@example.com.
- To discuss your company’s strategy for hybrid or remote-work compensation, or to learn more about our consulting services, please contact Kimberly Rochat, Managing Director, Consulting at the Croner Company, at +(415) 485-5526 or firstname.lastname@example.org.